Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Why not Donald Trump for President?

Oddly, the more Donald Trump gets knocked by the naysayers, the more I tend to like him.

I've had mixed feeling about him from the start, especially because he never goes deeply into policy and some of the things he says are really stupid. But everyone has been saying stupid things in order to get votes.


I think in the end common sense will prevail. I think Trump will soon start cleaning up his act.

I've been ambivalent about Trump. I admire him but he worries me. I like how he is a straight shooter not afraid of calling a spade a spade. I want someone that has a proven record of success and won't lie to me. It is that latter that makes me wonder whether Trump is just another pandering politician willing to tell any lie that's necessary to get the job. Let me explain.

Trump has said at least a couple of things that I find over the top. They are either pandering lies or he is dumber than I would want (we are all dumb; it is just a matter of how much). Those two things are that he would have Mexican people pay for the wall, and that if Ford and Nabisco go ahead and move their plants to Mexico he would slap them with a 35% tariff.

The first I understand as bravado, but the second coupled with his comments about the TPP, I find to be liberal anti-trade and pro-union, and going against principles proven to work. The last thing I want is another four or eight years of Obama.

Now, we all know, or at least reasonable people know that harming trade does not make sense and would just hurt the U.S. more than it would help. So Trump is either lying to get our vote or he is dumber than is tolerable.

Otherwise I like and admire him very much and I think he is far too smart not to clean up his act.

Why not someone like Trump with proven results? Even if he says stupid things, someone who got results for so long and so consistently, it must be because he did listen to people who knew better. That alone makes him a towering figure over Obama and Hillary.

Today Trump is doing what he has to to get the nomination. If he were to make it to the presidency, however, I would expect him to have precisely the qualities he values in people that work for him.

Obama and Hillary I believe were loose cannons in the sense that they thought they knew better and didn't listen to expert advise.

What do you do when your economic, healthcare and foreign policies are laughably disastrous? Try to divert attention by coming up with new policies, in this case gun control laws.

Why not?

It works so well in Chicago, where Obama comes from. They have some of the tightest gun control laws in the nation. The inconvenient truth is Chicago also has some of the worst gun violence in the nation, with 380+ shootings a month, and 60+ shooting deaths per month, most of which are black on black.

So much for gun laws.

Obama could speak out about the abdication of black fathers, leaving over 80% of black moms as single parents and welfare dependency, particularly regulations that make it economically wise for individuals to avoid work to get more benefits.

Obama could recognize the unique role the US plays in the world, as a beacon of freedom, as Ronald Reagan did.

This would lead to a successful legacy. The current nonsense secures Obama's legacy of failure.

Outrageous fees are paid to Bill and Chelsea Clinton, donations are made to the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation, and the emails are erased. And we are to believe it was just a happy coincidence that these payoffs occurred while Hillary was Secretary of State, and the State Department was reviewing matters of interest to the donors?

Come on!

Even by Clinton standards, this is sleazy, and an obvious conflict of interest. Amazing that Hillary remains the best the democrats can do as far as a candidate. Anyone else would be a best hiding in shame and at worst, behind bars.

Yet you can already hear the Clinton team, "right wing propaganda", "old news", "no issue". They have the denial thing down to a science. Hopefully the stench will be strong enough that voters will notice.

I expect that Trump will do the exact opposite: he will be very deliberate and careful to get the very best advise.

I prefer a straight shooter who calls a spade a spade. I like to know where I stand. I am fed up with political correctness and the bs and hedging of our current politicians, who I never know where they really stand.

There is good reason Trump has been successful. He is quite deliberate and listens to expert advise. For an example of how effectively he listens to expert advise, just look at how much free publicity he is getting. In the end the whole thing is not going to cost him much.

How can Trump lose with so much free publicity? One can't open a newspaper or magazine, or watch a TV station in which Trump doesn't feature prominently. If he can govern the way he manipulates the media we will all be better off.

In the end the fact is that we won't know what we will be getting in a candidate until he or she is in the White House making real decisions. With Trump at least I know I am getting someone who has proven he knows how to get results. Failing him I would prefer one of the governors who have also shown he knows how to get results but they do not seem to be gaining any steam.

No comments:

Post a Comment