Monday, November 20, 2017

CBS News suspends Charlie Rose after sexual harassment accusations

PBS and Bloomberg immediately halt production and distribution of his Rose's talk show


CBS News said Monday evening that "CBS This Morning" anchor Charlie Rose has been suspended following a report in the Washington Post in which eight women accused him of sexual harassment. PBS and Bloomberg also halted production and distribution of his talk show, "Charlie Rose."

"For all of the women, reporters interviewed friends, colleagues or family members who said the women had confided in them about aspects of the incidents. Three of the eight spoke on the record. Five of the women spoke on the condition of anonymity out of fear of Rose’s stature in the industry, his power over their careers or what they described as his volatile temper,” the Post said in a statement about the bombshell.

CBS News said in a statement, "Charlie Rose is suspended immediately while we look into this matter. These allegations are extremely disturbing and we take them very seriously."

Rose, 75, has been co-host of "CBS This Morning" since 2012 and has been a contributing correspondent for "60 Minutes" for nearly a decade.

The women who spoke to the Post worked for his production company, Charlie Rose Inc., not CBS or PBS, where his interview show airs, or Bloomberg, where it's taped and rebroadcast.

"PBS was shocked to learn today of these deeply disturbing allegations. We are immediately suspending distribution of 'Charlie Rose,'" a PBS spokesperson said. "'Charlie Rose' is produced by Charlie Rose, Inc., an independent television production company. PBS does not fund this nightly program or supervise its production, but we expect our producers to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect."

In a statement, Bloomberg said, "We are deeply disturbed to learn of these allegations and are immediately suspending the show from airing on Bloomberg TV and radio."

Rose expressed remorse for some of the allegations.

“In my 45 years in journalism, I have prided myself on being an advocate for the careers of the women with whom I have worked,” Rose said in a statement provided to The Post. “Nevertheless, in the past few days, claims have been made about my behavior toward some former female colleagues… It is essential that these women know I hear them and that I deeply apologize for my inappropriate behavior. I am greatly embarrassed.”

Rose continued: “I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate. I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realize I was mistaken.”

No comments:

Post a Comment