Monday, November 20, 2017

Roy Moore accuser Leigh Corfman speaks publicly about sexual abuse


Leigh Corfman, the first Roy Moore accuser, speaks out exclusively on TODAY, saying Moore sexually abused her when she was 14-years old while he was an assistant district attorney in his thirties. She says she was not paid to tell her story, but decided to speak up when she was contacted by reporters.

“I’ve had a lot of people that have come out and have said that because of my courage that they’re able to do the same," Corfman said.

Corfman said she’s relieved she’s finally publicly shared her story.

“I feel like a weight has been lifted," Corfman told NBC's TODAY Show on Monday in her first television appearance. “But here’s the beauty of what has happened. The support has been amazing. Women and men have come forward to tell their stories ... because of my courageous actions."

“I was a 14-year-old child trying to play in an adult’s world and he was 32 years old," Corfman said Monday, noting that at the time she had been reading romance novels. “I was expecting candlelight and roses, but what I got was very different."

She said she told some friends, who advised against continuing to meet Moore so when Moore called again she came up with an excuse and didn’t go. Corfman said the incident impacted her life.

“It took some trust away,’’ she said.

She said it took decades before she stopping blaming herself. “I felt guilty,'' she said. "I felt like I was the one that was to blame.’’

Corfman denied charges that she was paid to tell her story. If anything, she said, she has lost money, because she’s not working now.

“But this isn’t political for me. This is personal,’’ she said. “It’s very close to my heart and I’ve lived with this for a  long time.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment