Monday, November 20, 2017

Trump says he should have left UCLA players in Chinese jail

President Trump says he should have left three UCLA basketball players accused of shoplifting in China in jail. Trump's comments come after one player's father, LaVar Ball, minimized his involvement in granting the players' release.

“Everybody wants to make it seem like [Trump] helped me out,” the elder Ball told ESPN on Friday. “I’ve seen a lot worse things happen than a guy taking some glasses. My son has built up enough character that one bad decision doesn’t define him.”

"Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!

"Shoplifting is a very big deal in China, as it should be (5-10 years in jail), but not to father LaVar. Should have gotten his son out during my next trip to China instead. China told them why they were released. Very ungrateful!" Trump posted on Twitter.

Last week, Trump slammed the players for not thanking him for his help, tweeting that they could have spent 10 years in jail. Hours later, the players apologized for their actions and expressed gratitude to Trump.

“I’m a young man, however, it’s not an excuse for making a really stupid decision,” the younger Ball said. “I don’t feel sorry for myself and I’ve learned my lesson from this big mistake and I’m 110 percent sure that I will not make a bad decision like this again.”


UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero said the players had stolen items from three stores when students were given 90 minutes of free time to explore the city and relax.

They were released and returned to the United States on last week.

Trump took credit for the release, saying he had discussed the basketball players' fate during a meeting with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, before tweeting a message to the young men on Thursday.

"To the three UCLA basketball players I say: You're welcome, go out and give a big Thank You to President Xi Jinping of China who made...your release possible and, HAVE A GREAT LIFE! Be careful, there are many pitfalls on the long and winding road of life!" President Trump posted on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment