Thursday, December 7, 2017

US Senator Al Franken announces he will resign


Speaking from the Senate floor on Thursday, US Senator Al Franken (D-MN) announced he would be resigning amid growing accusations of sexual misconduct.

"Let me be clear. I may be resigning my seat, but I am not giving up my voice.

"I will continue to stand up for the things I believe in as a citizen and as an activist.

"Minnesotans deserve a Senator who can focus with all her energy on addressing the challenges they face every day," Franken said.

Speaking about his career in the Senate, Franken said that "it's all been worth it" and that he "would do it all over again in a heartbeat."

"I did not grow up wanting to be a politician. I came to this relatively late in life. I had to learn a lot on the fly. It wasn’t easy and it wasn’t always fun. I’m not just talking about today. This is a hard thing to do with your life," he said.

"There will be days when you will wonder whether it’s worth it. Even today, even on the worst day of my political life, I feel like it's all been worth it," Franken said.

Franken was elected to the Senate in 2008.

Franken also brought up President Trump and the Access Hollywood tape and his support of GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore, who has been accused of sexual abuse.

"I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office and a man who repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party.

"But this decision is not about me. It’s about the people of Minnesota," Franken said.

No comments:

Post a Comment