Monday, December 11, 2017

Attempted terrorist attack near Times Square

New York Mayor Bill Di Blasio says that an explosion that struck the Port Authority bus terminal at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue near Times Square, injuring four people including the suspect, was an attempted terrorist attack.

Police Commissioner James O'Neill says an explosion in the New York City subway was a terror-related incident. A 27-year-old man had a crude pipe bomb strapped to him and it went off in a passageway near Times Square.

Security camera video captures the moment an explosion detonated a home-made device near the Port Authority bus terminal at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue near Times Square.

New York police have named 27-year-old Brooklyn resident Akayed Ullah as the suspect who was wearing a homemade explosive device that detonated at the Port Authority bus terminal near Times Square. Ullah is of Bangladeshi descent.

Ullah, who lived in Brooklyn, suffered burns and wounds to his abdomen and hands and appeared to be the only person seriously injured in the pipe bomb explosion, authorities said.

At least three other people suffered minor injuries, including ringing in the ears and headaches. They are in stable condition and expected to be released later Monday, the hospital said in a statement.

Ullah's attack was inspired by ISIS, but he had no direct contact with the terrorist group, law enforcement officials said. When asked if Ullah made statements about ISIS, NYPD Commissioner O’Neill said the suspect did make statements, but he did not go into detail about what was said.

Ullah strapped the crude pipe bomb to his body with Velcro and zip ties. The suspect allegedly packed the 5-inch metal pipe bomb and battery pack into the right side of his jacket, but the device exploded earlier than intended, law enforcement sources told The New York Post.

The suspect told police he made the bomb at the electrical company where he works, The New York Post reported.

No comments:

Post a Comment